Friday, January 8, 2010

Director Rowell Santiago makes 'presidential' acting comeback

MANILA, Philippines - Rowell Santiago was an actor who turned into a director. Now, he is back in acting again in his first stint as a television soap actor in the new series "Tanging Yaman."

Santiago, who is known for directorial projects like "Forever" and "Paikot-Ikot", said his family was the main reason why he accepted an offer to star in a television series.

"I really thought about this teleserye (series) because I know about the horror stories of the working hours," Santiago said at the grand press conference of "Tanging Yaman."

"But sa dami po sa pamilya namin ng mga adik talaga sa soap, kaya ang feeling ko kailangang pagbigyan ko na sila. Na mapanood nila ako araw-araw," Santiago said.

(Because of the sheer number of my family who are addicted to television soaps, my feeling was that I should allow them to watch me on one every day.)

Besides, he said, he was asked to play a particularly juicy role on "Tanging Yaman": that of the president of the Philippines.

Santiago will play the role of President Juan Policarpio on the show, which airs on January 11 (Monday) before TV Patrol.

Love of directing

Santiago, the eldest brother of actors Raymart and Randy Santiago, stressed that he will not turn his back on directing, particularly directing concerts.

"Hindi ko tinatalikuran ang pagiging direktor ko. Kapag natapos ako ng taping, 9 in the morning, dumidiretso ako as director the next day. (I won't turn back on being a director. When I finish taping, at 9 a.m., I will go straight into directing the next day)," Santiago said.

Santiago tapes for "Tanging Yaman" every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday while all his directorial commitments are conveniently scheduled on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

"As a matter of fact I'm still having concerts like the one of Martin Nievera and Pops Fernandez. Before I accepted this role, my directorial projects were already planned out," he said.

Santiago starred in John Lloyd Cruz and Sarah Geronimo films like "A Very Special Love" and "You Changed My Life."

Santiago realized that he wanted to act again after watching John Lloy Cruz and Bea Alonzo's movie "One More Chance." He claims he became an instant fan of the film's director Cathy Garcia-Molina.

Source: ABS-CBNNEWS.com

No comments:

Post a Comment